Tolperisone Hydrochloride is indicated in-
- Treatment of increased tone of skeletal muscles due to organic neurological disorders (injury of the pyramidal tract, multiple sclerosis, myelopathy, encephalomyelitis).
- Treatment of muscular spasm, muscular contracture, rigidity, spinal automatism.
- In the treatment of vascular diseases (Obliterative arteriosclerosis, diabetic angiopathy, obliterative thromboangitis, Raynaud's disease, diffuse scleroderma).
- In individual cases, post-thrombotic venous and lymphatic circulation disorders and crural ulcer.
Central Depolarizing muscle relaxants, Centrally acting Skeletal Muscle Relaxants
Tolperisone Hydrochloride is a centrally acting muscle relaxant, which acts on the central nervous system and used mainly for the treatment of elevated muscle tone and tension as well as for certain circulation problems in the extremities.
Dosage & Administration
The recommended dose is as follows:
- Adult: 50-150 mg three times daily according to the individual requirement and tolerance of the patient.
- Children (from 3 months to 6 years): 5 mg/kg/day in three divided doses.
- Children (from 6 to 14 years): 2-4 mg/kg/day in three divided doses. or, as directed by the registered physician.
Concomitant use of methocarbamol with Tolperisone Hydrochloride has been reported to cause disturbance of visual accommodation.
It is contraindicated in patients with a history of hypersensitivity to any component of the product, myasthenia gravis and nursing mother.
Possible side-effects include sometimes muscular weakness, headache, nausea, vomiting and rarely hypersensitivity reactions (itching, redness of the skin, skin rash) may occur.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Tolperisone Hydrochloride should be used in pregnancy according to the physician's advice. It should not be used during breast feeding.
Precautions & Warnings
In case of children, the prescribed dose and duration of treatment should closely be observed.
Keep below 30°C temperature, away from light & moisture. Keep out of the reach of children.