Xylocon Nasal Spray
10 ml nasal spray: ৳ 50.00
Also available as:
Oxymetazoline Hydrochlorid is indicated for the treatment of nasal congestion associated with acute or chronic rhinitis, common cold, sinusitis, upper respiratory allergies, epistaxis and hay fever. It is also used as nasal decongestant in otitis media.
Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride is an imidazoline derivative sympathomimetic amine. It is a direct agonist at α-adrenoceptors but has no action on β- adrenoceptors. It is used as a topical agent on the nasal mucosa, produces a rapid and long acting vasoconstriction of the arterioles, thus reducing the blood flow and diminishing swelling of the mucosa. This results in improved potency of the airway and better drainage of the nasal sinus.
Oxymetazoline nasal spray-
- Adults and children (6 years of age and older): 2 or 3 sprays in each nostril twice daily for 3-5 days.
- Elderly: There is no need for dosage reduction in the elderly for nasal administration.
- Children below 6 years of age: It is not suitable for children below 6 years of age.
- Adults & children 6 years of age: 2-3 drops of 0.05% Nasal Drops in each nostril twice daily in the morning and evening.
- Children 2-5 years of age: 2-3 drops of 0.025% Nasal Drops in each nostril twice daily in the morning and evening
How to use the Nasal Spray-
- Shake the bottle gently and remove the dust cover.
- Hold the spray with your forefinger and middle finger on either side of the nozzle and your thumb underneath the bottle. Press down until a fine spray appears. If using for the first time or if you have not used it for a week or more, press the nasal applicator several times until a fine moist comes out from the container.
- Gently blow the nose to clear the nostrils.
- Close one nostril and carefully insert the nasal applicator into the open nostril. Tilt your head forward slightly and keep the spray upright. Breathe in through your nose and while breathing in, press the white-collar of nasal applicator firmly down once to release a spray.
- Breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat the above steps in the same/ other nostril for consecutive doses.
- Remove the dust cover.
- Gently pull off the nasal applicator.
- Wash the applicator and dust cover in warm water.
- Shake off the excess water and leave to dry in a normal place. Avoid to apply additional heat.
- Gently push the applicator back on the top of the bottle and re-fix the dust cover.
Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride Nasal preparation should not be given to patients being treated with MAO inhibitors or within 14 days of ceasing such treatment.
It is contraindicated in patients with cardiovascular disease, hyperthyroidism, prostatic enlargement, angle closure glaucoma and hypersensitivity to any of its ingredients.
Occasionally it may cause local irritation and dryness of the mouth and throat. Temporarily discomfort such as burning, stinging, sneezing or increase in nasal discharge may occur.
Pregnancy & Lactation
The safety of Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride Nasal Spray during pregnancy and lactation has not been established, but is not thought to constitute a hazard during those periods.
Precautions & Warnings
Keep away from the eyes. The spray should not be used for longer than seven days without medical advice. Frequent or prolonged use may cause nasal congestion to recur or worsen.
Overdose may give rise to local irritation and rebound congestion. Treatment need only be symptomatic.
Nasal Anti-histamine preparations, Nasal Decongestants & Other Nasal Preparations
Keep below 30° C temperature in a dry place, protect from light. Do not refrigerate or freeze. Keep out of the reach of children.