Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride is indicated for allergy of diverse origins such as-
- Cutaneous allergies
- Angioneurotic edema
- Relief of coughing
- Allergic reactions to medicaments
- Anaphylactic shock
- Insect bites
Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride is an antihistaminic drug. It also has substantial sedative, anti-cholinergic, anti-tussive and anti-emetic effects. It inhibits histamine release by blocking H 1 receptors.
Dosage & Administration
Bolus: For oral administration only.
- Large animals: 1 bolus/125-250 kg body weight.
- Small animals: 1 mg/kg body weight.
- Dogs, Cats: 2-4 mg/kg body weight 2-3 times daily.
- Large animals: 1.25-2.50 ml/100 kg body weight (0.25 mg-0.50 mg/kg body weight)
- Small animals: 1 ml/40 kg body weight (0.5 mg /kg body weight).
- Dog: 0.25 ml/5 kg body weight (1 mg/kg body weight)
- Cat: 0.1 ml/2 kg body weight (1 mg/kg body weight) Or, as Directed By Veterinary Physician.
Animals hypersensitive to Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride or any other antihistamine.
CNS depression (drowsiness), anticholinergic (dry mouth, urinary retention), diarrhea etc. may occur in some cases.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Use in pregnancy has not been determined. However, risk & necessity should be considered during administration in pregnant & lactating animal.
Precautions & Warnings
Withdrawal Period: Meat-7 days, Milk-2 days.
Store in a cool and dry place, protected from light. Keep all medicines out of reach of children.